What Are Intermittent Fasting No-Nos?
Here are some mistakes to avoid when intermittent fasting:
- Choosing the wrong plan: Be realistic about what plan will work with your lifestyle and your personality. Alternate day fasting may sound good on paper because it gets results quickly, but if you have a stressful job where you work long hours, this will be hard to maintain.
- Doing too much, too soon: Maybe you want to work up to 20:4, but you'll find the most success with sticking with IF if you start off with 12:12 to allow your body time to adjust.
- Giving up too soon: Intermittent fasting takes a certain amount of discipline and a period of time where you may not feel good or see results. Unless you're experiencing medical issues, stick with it for at least a month before throwing in the towel.
- Eating too much during your eating window: Don't make up for lost time by eating way more than you would if you weren't fasting. Intermittent fasting doesn't give you a green light to overeat because you will gain weight.
- Eating too little: If you don't eat enough, you'll feel especially hungry the next day, which can cause you to overeat.
- Eating the wrong foods: Skip the junk and get your fill of protein, healthy fats, fibre, and complex carbs. This will satiate you longer, continue to help you build muscle, maintain a healthy brain, and just make you feel more energetic and happier overall.