If you're trying to cut down on processed sugar, use the natural sweetness of apples to your advantage! These apple cinnamon oatmeal muffins are sweetened with just-picked apples, applesauce, and banana, resulting in a perfectly moist, vegan muffin you can enjoy for breakfast, snack, or dessert. No sweeteners needed!
This recipe is made with whole wheat flour, oats, and flaxmeal for added fibre, making these tender muffins super filling. They're delicious on their own, with a little sugar-free jam, or my personal favourite — smeared with this homemade pumpkin spice cashew butter.
This recipe makes 15 muffins, but you can double the batch to freeze for later. When you want a muffin, just pop one out of the freezer and microwave for 20 seconds. For just 61 calories, you can enjoy a few for a snack or have a couple with your breakfast smoothie. You won't miss the sugar at all!
- 1 tablespoon flaxmeal
3 tablespoons water
1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond and Cashew Milk)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 small apples peeled and finely chopped (1 1/2 packed cups)
1/3 cup applesauce (I used one of those little cups that come in the six-pack)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled or quick oats (I used quick oats)
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Preheat oven.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flaxmeal and water and set aside for a few minutes to thicken.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the non-dairy milk and apple cider vinegar, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle (this makes vegan buttermilk).
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas until smooth and creamy. Peel, core, and chop the apples into pea-size pieces. Add them to the bowl with the banana, and add in the applesauce and vanilla. Stir in the flax and milk mixtures.
- In a medium bowl or mixing cup, mix together the flour, oats, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well.
- Scoop batter into muffin cups and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out clean.
Here's the nutritional information for one muffin from verywell.com.
- 15 muffins
- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Cook Time
- 30 minutes
- Total Time
- 44 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving