When I crafted this recipe, combining two of my favourite flavours — chocolate and mint — I wasn't prepared when I took my first bite! It was even more decadent and delicious than I thought it would be. These taste like a chocolate cupcake, but they're healthy for you, made with whole wheat flour, flaxmeal, and plant-based protein powder.
At 150 calories, these vegan muffins offer seven grams of satiating protein for just around 10 grams of sugar and 13.8 grams of carbs. Enjoy two for breakfast or bite into one after dinner to satisfy your chocolate cravings. The texture is so light and moist like chocolate cake with a delicious cooling peppermint flavour. I can't wait to bake another batch because this recipe is so delicious, the first batch is already gone!
- 1 tablespoon flaxmeal
3 tablespoons water
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup organic sugar (or stevia)
1/3 cup light olive or coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
3/4 cup white whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup plant-based chocolate protein powder (I used 2 servings of Orgain Organic protein powder, which offers 21 grams of protein per serving)
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips (I used Trader Joe's semi-sweet)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with 11 paper or silicone cups.
- In a small bowl, mix the flaxmeal and water together, and set aside.
- Whisk together the almond milk and apple cider vinegar, and set aside for a few minutes so the milk curdles.
- Mix in the sugar, oil, and vanilla and peppermint extracts. Mix in the flax mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, protein powder, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet until smooth. Stir in most of the chocolate chips, saving one to two tablespoons to sprinkle on top.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 11 cupcakes and sprinkle with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven, and after a few minutes, move cupcakes to a cooling rack.
Here's the nutritional info for one muffin:
- 11 muffins
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 20 minutes
- Total Time
- 29 minutes, 59 seconds
- Calories per serving