Potato salad is such a comforting side dish. I have so many fond memories of eating my grandma's potato salad when I was growing up, and to be completely honest, I can't re-create her recipe at all. Instead, I make Chrissy Teigen's creamy potato salad with bacon, because it's a little bit different but just as delicious. What I love about Chrissy's recipe — other than the bacon — is the jalapeño. The pepper adds just enough of a kick to make it interesting, which I'm totally a fan of. This recipe, from Chrissy's Cravings cookbook, is also easy to tweak if you want to make fewer servings. This time around, I cut it in half and made enough to last in the fridge for a couple days while I pick at it. Check out the recipe ahead, and make it for yourself at home.
- 4 pounds medium red potatoes
12 ounces bacon
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 heaping tablespoons sweet pickle relish
A squeeze of yellow mustard
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1/2 cup finely diced red onion
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallion greens
1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely diced
- In a large pot, combine the potatoes with water to cover. Salt it until it tastes good, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until you can pierce the potatoes easily with a fork, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and cool to room temperature, then cut them into bite-size pieces and transfer to a large bowl.
- Cut the bacon into 1/4-inch pieces. In a medium skillet, cook half the bacon over medium heat until crispy, about 10 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining bacon.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, Dijon mustard, relish, yellow mustard, black pepper, and 2 teaspoons salt until smooth.
- Add the dressing to the potatoes along with the bacon, eggs, onion, scallion greens, and jalapeño. Gently toss to combine.
- Potato, Side Dishes
- 8-10 servings
- Prep Time
- 10 minutes
- Cook Time
- 40 minutes
- Total Time
- 49 minutes, 59 seconds