Apple pie is an American tradition. Cinnamon, sugar, butter, and apples all mixed together in a flaky pie crust, topped with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream — is your stomach rumbling yet? Luckily, you don't have to wait for Thanksgiving to enjoy a tasty apple pie — you can easily make it at home with this stovetop apple pie filling recipe! It takes just 15 minutes to make this sweet apple pie filling on your stove, which you can then transfer to a pie crust or store in your fridge for baking later. Each batch replaces one can of store-bought filling, so double or triple the recipe if you want to make it in bulk. As a bonus, your house will smell amazing after whipping this up!
- 4 medium apples (we used Honeycrisp)
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
- Core and slice your apples, then peel them. Place the apple pieces in a bowl.
- In a skillet, melt butter and cinnamon over medium heat on the stove. Stir in apples, sugar and 3 tablespoons water.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally. This should only take about 4-6 minutes, or until very slightly softened.
- Combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water in a small dish. Pour this in the pan while stirring.
- Continue cooking until apples are soft and filling has thickened. Be careful not to overcook (apples shouldn't be mushy). Let bubble one minute, then cool.
- Pour into a pie crust or store in a mason jar for later baking. Stock up and freeze to have on hand whenever a recipe calls for it!
- Desserts, Fillings
- 1 jar
- Prep Time
- 8 minutes
- Cook Time
- 7 minutes
- Total Time
- 14 minutes, 59 seconds