All Your Questions About the Overwatch 2 Battle Pass, Explained
Overwatch 2 launches on October 5 with a new approach to unlocking characters and cosmetics. Instead of loot boxes, Overwatch 2 will have a seasonal model where new items are released every few weeks in a Battle Pass. Despite some (very valid) controversy around the change, the move away from loot boxes is a welcome one, but it’s also left players wondering how, exactly, they’ll unlock new characters — and how long it will take.
How Does the Overwatch 2 Battle Pass Work?
Each Battle Pass will contain up to 80+ tiers of unlockable in-game items, but the full collection will only be available to players who purchase the premium Battle Pass for 1000 Overwatch Coins (approximately $15 in Australia). For everyone else, the free Battle Pass will only contain around 20 items, but this does include new heroes.
To progress through the Battle Pass, you just need to play the game. Each tier requires 10,000 XP to unlock, which you earn at the end of each game and by completing daily and weekly challenges. Playing with a friend grants you both a 20% XP boost, too.
How to Unlock Heroes in Overwatch 2 With the Free Battle Pass
New heroes will be unlocked at Tier 55 of the Battle Pass. Even though you don’t get every item between Tier 1 and 54 with the free version, you’ll still need to unlock them all to reach this point. That means you’ll need to earn 550,000 XP to unlock the new hero.
How to Unlock Heroes in Overwatch 2 With the Premium Battle Pass
Unlocking new heroes is much quicker for anyone who purchases the premium Battle Pass — you’ll get instant access!
The season one Battle Pass contains Kiriko, a support hero with a focus on deadly precision and fluid movement. Here’s Kiriko’s full kit:
- Healing Ofuda: Kiriko’s primary fire, a single-target healing projectile that home in on allies
- Kunai: her secondary fire is a low-damage throwing knife that deals extra crit damage
- Swift Step: teleport directly to a nearby ally, even through walls
- Protection Suzu: a small area-of-effect ability that makes allies inside the radius briefly invulnerable and removes any negative status effects
- Wall Climb: Kiriko’s passive ability lets her scale walls like Genji and Hanzo
- Kitsune Rush: Kiriko’s Ultimate ability summons a fox spirit that rushes forward, accelerating the movement, attack speed and cooldowns of allies in its path.
How to Unlock Sojourn and Junker Queen
The two characters who were released during the Overwatch 2 betas will be instantly unlocked for everyone who logs in during season one — even if you don’t buy the premium Battle Pass.
How Often Will New Heroes Be Released?
The plan is for a new hero to be added to the game every second season, with a new map coming out every other season. The only exception is season one and two, which will both contain a hero. After this, new heroes will be released in season four and six.
What If I Miss a Battle Pass?
Luckily, you’ll be able to unlock heroes from previous Battle Passes by completing special challenges, or by purchasing them directly from the shop with Overwatch Coins.
How to Play Overwatch 2
Overwatch 2 will be free-to-play on PC, PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch.
Read more POPSUGAR gaming content below:
- Is ‘Tears of the Kingdom’ a Prequel to the First Ever Zelda Game? Lore Experts Think So
- “She’s a Top”: Anna Torv Answers All Our Questions About Tess In HBO’s ‘The Last of Us’
- 5 Games to Play Before Declaring ‘The Last of Us’ the GOAT
- Elden Ring Detectives Have Some Wild Theories About the DLC — Here Are the Best Ones
- Joel Finally Called Ellie “Baby Girl” In ‘The Last of Us’ and Fans Are Not Okay