Jan. 1, New Year's Day, is also National Bloody Mary Day — for obvious reasons. However, the taste (and need) for the spicy tomato drink lasts throughout the month . . . we haven't even got to Australia Day yet!
For this reason, and because they're delicious, you need to know the recipe. This is Sydney restaurant Saké's hot take on the classic.
- 60ml shoju (alternatively use vodka)
- 120ml tomato juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated wasabi or 1 teaspoon wasabi paste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha hot sauce
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- Juice of half large lime
- Celery stalk, tomato, lime, or cucumber spear for garnish
1. Combine all ingredients except garnish in an ice-filled cocktail shaker and shake to combine.
2. Strain over fresh ice into a glass and garnish with assorted veggies.