The Spiritual Meaning Behind December's Cold Moon
There’s no shortage of ways that the stars and planets affect our lives, and each different type of moon can have a serious astrological impact. The full cold moon will take place in December 2022, and each specific zodiac sign will be strongly affected by its presence, a phenomena that occurs whenever a full moon takes place. According to astrology, the cold moon that occurs in December will ultimately settle on a specific sign, and that settling will bring a specific meaning. At its core, the full moon will notably centre around a time of reflection and looking ahead, which is quite fitting as we close out the end of the year. Here’s everything you need to know about December’s full cold moon and how it will impact your life.
Why Is It Called the Cold Moon?
Many full moons have earned a special name based on the conditions of the environment around them during the time the full moon takes place. “Like many of the other full moons, the cold moon is thought to take its name from Native American cultures and reflects the changes in the natural world around them,” Rhianne, astrologer at Ask the Answer, tells POPSUGAR. “Arriving around the midpoint of winter, the cold moon’s arrival marks a turning point when things have reached their coldest and darkest, meaning things can only get brighter.”
When Is the Full Cold Moon in 2022?
What Sign Is the Moon in December?
The full cold moon in December will go through a few signs before settling into one. “The moon’s journey takes it through many signs in December, starting in Pisces and waxing through Aries and Taurus until it reaches its full glory in Gemini,” Rhianne tells POPSUGAR. The sign of Gemini will dictate the energy during this time when the full cold moon takes place. “A mutable sign, often linked with feelings of duality and curiosity, we’ll likely all be feeling the need to express our true selves.” The remainder of the moon’s journey will take it through two more zodiac signs. “From there, the moon wanes as it travels through the rest of the signs, lingering a little in Cancer and Virgo,” Rhianne says.
What Is the Spiritual Meaning of the Cold Moon?
The spiritual meaning of the cold moon is directly related to its timing as the last full moon before the new year ahead. “As the last full moon of the year, but rising in the middle of winter, the cold moon marks a time for a detailed, complex reflection,” Rhianne says. “Embrace the spirit of duality of Gemini and balance, in your mind, thoughts of the past, present, and future.” Rhianne suggests reflecting during the cold moon on how we can use its energy in a constructive way. “It’s time to think of the year that has past and reflect on the things you have achieved, what obstacles you’ve overcome, and all the lessons you have learned, but not to lose sight of the future,” Rhianne says. “The darkest, coldest time has nearly passed, and from here the future gets brighter and warmer. Things may have been difficult, but you’ve made it through, and now it’s time to celebrate.”
What Does the Cold Moon Mean For Each Zodiac Sign?
Every zodiac sign is impacted by the full cold moon each year. Rhianne offers some insight into what each zodiac sign can expect.
- Aries: “You’re going to be absolutely, authentically yourself for a few days,” Rhianne says. “Don’t be shocked if others don’t know how to react, and don’t let the reactions of others turn you away from being yourself. There will be people who admire your honesty and admire this new you, but they won’t be coming forward just yet.”
- Taurus: “Life may seem a hard slog at the moment, but rest assured, things are going to start to get easier,” Rhianne says. “There are people close to you who are more than happy to help. Just ask, and you may find that a certain helping hand gives you more than you’d imagined.”
- Gemini: “Prepare to be in demand, but maybe not in the way you’d imagined,” Rhianne says. “People are going to be opening up to you left, right, and center, and while it may feel great to be so needed, don’t let it get in the way of your own needs. Give yourself time for reflection, even if it means you have to turn people down.”
- Cancer: “Chances for real spiritual nourishment will be appearing for some of you this full moon, but don’t misconstrue this as a major change in your outlook,” Rhianne says. “Look for opportunities to get yourself back to where you were and where you need to be, but don’t beat yourself up for not going beyond that yet.”
- Leo: “This may be an interesting time for you,” Rhianne says. “Unexpected people around you will be struggling with self-reflection and doubts while you’re going to be feeling extra confident. It’s really important that you try to understand them and offer your support in a nonjudgemental way. Channel your inner healer; you’ll be amazed how much it means to somebody.”
- Virgo: “It’s time to do some pondering, Virgo,” Rhianne says. “Relax, reflect, and allow yourself to wind down. Your working life may get a little frantic, but that’s OK. Stay as zen as you can be, and ride out the stresses that seem to be creeping up around others as the year draws to a close.”
- Libra: “Libra, it is time to indulge yourself,” Rhianne says. “You’ve been putting yourself through it these past months, but from the cold moon to the new moon, just let yourself get what you want. A period of self-reflection will allow you to see that you really do deserve it.”
- Scorpio: “Put aside time to bond with your family, and take comfort in the friendships closest to you,” Rhianne says. “You may be finding people have been misunderstanding your intentions and your personality lately, but instead of stressing over it, enjoy the company of the people who you go back years with. Things will turn out OK in the end.”
- Sagittarius: “Now is a great time for you, Sagittarius, just make sure not to self-sabotage,” Rhianne says. “A lot of you will be feeling the urge to do something out of character, and while this can be great, the cold moon is not the time for it this year. Instead, satisfy yourself with a little pride in what you’ve achieved this year, even if it is only small victories.”
- Capricorn: “It might feel like things are snowballing, and while the people around you may seem like they are coping fine, don’t be afraid to express yourself honestly to them,” Rhianne says. “You’ll find you’re not the only one feeling stretched thin, and a little empathy will go a long way. If you’re feeling overshadowed, remember your time to shine arrives around Dec. 21.”
- Aquarius: “It’s time to make some tricky decisions,” Rhianne says. “New energies and thought patterns are going to be presenting themselves to you, and while they might seem tempting at first, you need to really break them down to see whether they suit you better than the path you are already on.”
- Pisces: “Try not to let others irritate you, Pisces,” Rhianne says. “You’re likely going to find yourself a little more combative than usual, and the people around you, especially in the workplace, are going to rub you the wrong way. While relaxing may be easier said than done, keep the peace for a few days, and things will simmer down.”
When Is the Next Full Moon?
The next full moon after December’s Cold Moon will appear on Jan. 6, 2023, at 6:08 p.m. ET, according to the Farmers’ Almanac. The January full moon is also known as the Wolf Moon, and it brings with it all of its own astrological implications.