September's Harvest Moon Will Bring Uneasiness and Opportunity
If you’ve ever taken an evening car ride, or just so happened to catch a glimpse of the starry sky during the early months of fall, you may have noticed the harvest moon. Unlike other full moons, the harvest moon is a little different in both its colour and timing, making this moon phase incredibly striking. POPSUGAR consulted with an astrologer to figure out when the next harvest moon will appear, the spiritual meaning behind it, and what the harvest moon in 2022 will mean for every zodiac sign.
Why Is It Called the Harvest Moon?
The harvest moon takes place during the autumnal equinox, when the sun crosses the celestial equator from north to south at the start of autumn. According to the Old Farmer’s Almanac, the harvest moon earned its name because of the moonlight that occurs early in the evenings, leaving farmers with more time to harvest their summer-grown crops.
When Is the Full Harvest Moon in 2022?
The full harvest moon will rise on Saturday, Sept. 10, 2022, at 5:59 a.m. ET.
What Sign Is September’s Harvest Moon?
The 2022 harvest moon is in Pisces.
What Is the Spiritual Meaning of the Harvest Moon?
Astrologer Anya of Ask the Answer says September’s harvest moon will have the signs feeling a little uneasy, but it does offer an opportunity for a fresh start. “This particular moon’s closeness to the autumnal equinox means that it is symbolic of new beginnings and a door to spiritual awareness,” Anya tells POPSUGAR. “On the other hand, with the Piscine energy of this full moon, you may experience a bit of a feeling of insecurity and a feeling like you’re being too perceptive.”
In order to prepare yourself for these particular feelings that come from a Pisces sign, it’s best to try and relax. “During the harvest moon, it’s best to slow down, wait, and see what happens in your life,” Anya says. “Enjoy the beautiful September sunsets, look back at your achievements, and take a deep breath . . . the tricky bit is nearly over!”
What Does the Harvest Moon Mean For Each Zodiac Sign?
- Aries: It’s time for Aries to face what they’ve been hiding. “A secret matter may come to light, revealing some of those skeletons in your closet,” Anya says. “The good news is that you won’t be, or shouldn’t be, afraid to discuss it with others.”
- Taurus: You may be putting your own needs last, but that will pay off when you help others during this full moon. “Time to face the facts!” Anya says. “Under the harvest moon, you will begin to give more and put yourself second. You’ll be amazed how you can help others heal.”
- Gemini: Geminis might feel uncomfortable as they’re forced to take initiative during the harvest moon. “You’re a team player, but now you are being forced to take the lead,” Anya says. “This means you need to step up your game. For the first time in a while, you’re going to find yourself being pushed to be in charge.”
- Cancer: It’s crucial for Cancers to find some long-awaited time for friends, as well as solitude. “To put it simply, you need to have some fun,” Anya explains. “All work and no play has left you energetically drained. The late hours that you put into work are catching up with you, leaving you craving extra time for yourself and for socialising. Find the time to let your hair down.”
- Leo: It’s OK for Leos to not only make boundaries, but enforce them. “You do not have to feel bad for setting boundaries with others,” Anya says. “People who drain you of energy can stop you from progressing to the next level, so it’s important that you cut out those who’re negatively impacting your life. It sounds brutal, but it’s for your own good.”
- Virgo: Virgos will be seeing their family and friends more often during the harvest moon. “Recently, and rightfully so, it’s all been about you,” Anya says. “Now, you are willing and wanting to give more energy to others. It’s time to get together with your loved ones and show them what they mean to you.”
- Libra: Libras, it’s time to stop selling yourselves short. “People may not always recognise it, but your hard-working nature will start demanding more respect,” Anya advises. “You’ve been working on some big projects and you deserve more than you will be getting back. Time to make sure you get back as much as you put in.”
- Scorpio: It’s time for the Scorpio signs to get their creative juices flowing during the harvest moon. “Creativity is in the air, Scorpio,” Anya explains. “This full moon is a perfect time to start breaking free from the roadblocks and constraints that have been holding you back. Your artistry and edge are going to help.”
- Sagittarius: It’s time to go for it, Sagittarius. “You’re not one to stand idle and watch life pass you by, but around this moon you’re going to realize that you have been less proactive lately,” Anya says. “It’s time for you to take back control of situations and to start making moves.”
- Capricorn: Capricorns might have been killing it professionally, but it’s time to switch gears. “You’re always one to give 100 percent to your career, but during this harvest moon you’re going to find that your personal life could use more attention and affection,” Anya explains. “Cancel your extra work appointments and clear your schedule. It’s time to spend a bit more time with the people most important to you.”
- Aquarius: It’s OK for an Aquarius to be picky during this harvest moon. “Before you commit to social commitments, make sure that you actually want to spend that time with them,” Anya advises. “You may find that creating boundaries helps you maintain a better balance in these relationships.”
- Pisces: Pisces should be prepared to deal with feelings of longing and companionship. “Now, more than ever, you are craving intimacy from your loved ones, particularly from your significant other if you have one,” Anya tells POPSUGAR. “With the moon in Pisces, the harvest moon is the perfect time to level up intimate relationships and deepen your commitment to the people around you.”
When Is the Next Full Moon?
The next full moon following the harvest moon of September 2022 is the October blood moon on Oct. 9, 2022, at 4:55 p.m. ET.