Skip Nav

Common Suffocation Risk For Pets

Grieving Woman Warns Pet Owners of the Common Household Item They'd Never Think Twice About — Until Now

One week ago I kissed my baby boy goodbye on my way out for work. But I had no idea it would be for the last time....

Posted by Chrissy Villarreal on Monday, February 26, 2018

It certainly wasn't easy for Christina Young to relive the events that led to the death of her beloved dog Petey, but the mourning pet owner — who is a self-proclaimed "overprotective dog mama" — feels she has an "obligation to share what happened" in order to warn others about the surprisingly common suffocation risk we likely all have in our homes without ever realizing it.

"One week ago, I kissed my baby boy goodbye on my way out for work," she wrote in a moving Facebook post about the last time she saw her dog alive. When her partner Christian came home that evening, he "was surprised when Petey didn't greet him at the door like usual." She wrote on Facebook:

As he walked in further he saw our sweet boy laying lifeless with a stupid chip bag over his head. He was able to get them off the counter that we will forever blame ourselves for leaving out. He ate every chip out but of course went back for crumbs... with there being nothing left inside every time he would go for more he would inhale making the bag tighter & tighter around his head, ultimately resulting in suffocation.

Christina recalled that their dog was smart and that she couldn't understand why he couldn't get the bag off with his paws.

"But after doing research, the stats on how often this happens is shocking," she added. "Three to five pet suffocations get reported every week and 42 percent of those occur while the owner is in the next room. It only takes about three minutes for their oxygen to drop to fatal levels."

Despite this particular suffocation hazard — most typically seen with chip bags, cereal bags, bread bags, and pet treat bags — being so common, she learned that in 90 percent of the incidents, the animal owner had never heard of it before.

That's why Christina is trying to raise awareness and remind pet owners to be "extra careful" in honour of Petey.

"Give your fur babies some extra love today and every day after this," she wrote. "I pray none of you ever have to experience your heart breaking this way."

More from POPSUGAR
From Our Partners
Can Dogs Tell If You Have a Favourite?
How Often Should You Disinfect Your Phone?
20 Halloween Costumes That Actually Fit Your Large Dog
Amazon Prime Day Pet Carrier Sweatshirt | 2020
Best Playpens For Dogs
Can My Dog Give Blood?
Chrissy Teigen Shouldn't Be Judged For Grieving in Public
Cute Photos of Labrador Retriever Puppies
Can I Take Cough Drops During Pregnancy?
Milk-Bone Halloween Face Masks and Bandanas For Dogs
Taylor Swift's Cat Backpack Review With Pictures
Can Kids Eat Vodka Pasta Sauce?
Latest Parenting