Samsung's 2 New Galaxy Phones Are Here — and 1 Feature Is INSANE
At an event right before Mobile World Congress kicked off in Barcelona, Spain, Samsung announced two new additions to its smartphone lineup: the Galaxy S7 and the Galaxy S7 Edge. The two phones are not too different from the Note 5 nor the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus — the two phones released in the fall of 2015. The key difference is that these two phones are made for people who don't necessarily want a bigger phone, but still want all the capabilities a big phone can bring.
Here's what other new features and improvements these two phones will bring — several of which were leaked earlier this month.
- Screen size: 5.1-inch screen on the S7 and 5.5-inch on the S7 Edge.
- Camera: 12-mega-pixel rear-facing camera and 5-mega-pixel front-facing camera.
- Expandable memory: Both phones will come with a microSD slot for additional memory storage up to 200GB.
- Game mode: Both phones will boast a new feature called "Game Mode." This will optimise your screen for longer game play with no interruptions.
- Water resistance: The phones can be submerged in 1.5 metres of water for up to 30 minutes, according to Samsung.
- Wireless charging: Ultra-fast charging without any cords will be available on both phones. This was previously only available on the Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 active, Galaxy S6 edge, Galaxy S6 edge+ and Galaxy Note5 without buying any additional hardware.
- Processor: The Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 is now 30 percent faster than Galaxy S6.
- Storage: 32 GB for both models.
- Colors: In Barcelona, it was revealed the S7 will be available in Gold Platinum, Black Onyx, and White Pearl, and the S7 edge will be available in Gold Platinum, Black Onyx, and Silver Titanium. Stay tuned for an excact confirmation on colours for Australia.
Pre-orders begin February 26, and they'll go on sale on March 11. According to Gizmodo, expect to pay $1,149 for the S7, and $1,249 for the S7 edge. Ahead, check out photos of the devices and decide which one you want to get.