11 Reasons iOS 10 Is Going to Be a Game Changer
- Photos gets an upgrade: The Photos app is now going to let you do a lot more than just simple edits. You'll get to draw and write text on your photos. Places also allows you to see all your photos on a map and its features include facial and scene recognition. It will also gather photos from a trip or event and create a video with music through a new feature called Memories.
- Apple Music has a new look: The app will now have a new simple design and the Connect section is less prominent. The most used tab, Library, will be at the forefront and navigating through playlists has gotten much easier and more intuitive. See all your purchased music through a new section called Downloaded Music, and check out daily curated playlists and discover new music in Browse. You'll even be able to sing along with the newly added lyrics feature.
- Access notifications on a locked screen with Raise to Wake: Wake up your phone just by raising the screen and see what's on your locked screen without having to touch any buttons. 3D Touch allows you to jump right into iMessage conversations, notifications, and Uber status updates, for example.
- Home screen has everything you need: In addition to a newly redesigned control centre that lets you slide over for widgets, you can now access your activity rings through 3D Touch, swipe over to view VIP contacts, access Today View to check the weather and news, and even one-tap into live-action sports.
- Apple Maps is "more proactive": Looking for a place to eat? Need to make a reservation? Trying to call a Lyft to get you there? Get all of that done without leaving Maps. Search nearby restaurants and even narrow your choices by type of food by sliding through your choices at the bottom of the app. You can pan and zoom ahead to check traffic conditions and access quick controls for route details and food and gas stops ahead.
- Siri is even better: You can use Siri to communicate through other supported apps like WeChat, Slack, and Skype. Siri can also make intelligent suggestions in iMessage based on your current location, relevant contacts, and availability.
- Apple News is split into topics: Digest daily news and all the information you're interested in in categories. Stories will be broken up into sections like Top Stories and Trending Stories, and News will even create new topics for you based on what you read. Major additions include Subscriptions and breaking news notifications.
- All home accessories are accessible in the new Home app: Your HomeKit products can now be found in one central destination. Manage your home controls like the newly added Camera and Doorlock categories all through your a locked screen. Now that HomeKit is built into your control center, you'll be able to tap across accessories in your home with a swipe up.
- The Phone app gets a couple enhancements: See voicemail transcriptions without having to listen to your missed calls and avoid picking up unknown numbers with iPhone's new possible spam feature. If you have photos saved to your contacts, calls on your lock screen turn into a full-screen image of your caller.
- Messages is more interactive and personable: Your conversations come to life with iMessage's many new features. Rich links pull up the artwork, website, titles, and even live video from the link you share in iMessage. Emoji are three times bigger, and never waste time searching for the perfect one by using emoji predictions. Just highlight "emojifiable" words and tap to replace the word with an emoji. You'll be able to communicate how you truly intend to with animated stickers, bubble effects (larger text for exclamations or smaller for sensitive replies), handwritten messages, full-screen effects like audio and background visuals, and more.
- Apple Pay is more useful: You can now use Apple Pay to make any purchase on the Safari browser.
You can download it as a free update in the Spring for the iPhone 5 and later as well as the iPad Air, iPad Pro, iPad fourth generation, and iPad Mini 2 and later, and the iPod Touch sixth generation. Check out photos of the new operating system ahead. Don't worry — we can't wait to use it either.