Jock Zonfrillo’s Wife Lauren Breaks Silence Following Death of Late “MasterChef” Judge
It’s been a month since the news of “MasterChef Australia” judge Jock Zonfrillo’s death broke, and now, Zonfrillo’s wife Lauren Fried has broken her silence with an emotional Instagram post. The renowned judge of “MasterChef Australia” tragically died at the age of 46 on May 1.
“It’s been a month since we lost Jock, and I put a line in the sand thinking that at the one month mark, I would turn some sort of a corner. Obviously that hasn’t happened,” she said in the video.
“There’s no time that I could allocate to say thank you to everyone. I just am overwhelmed by the messages that came in from people all over the world who knew him or didn’t know him.
“I really wish he knew how loved he was and he knew the impact that he had on so many people.”
She then opened up about the multitude of projects that Jock had been working on behind the scenes. Expressing her uncertainty about the appropriateness of sharing these endeavours on his social media accounts, she reached out to Jock’s followers for their input.
“He had lost of projects he was working on. He’s got a lot of behind the scenes interviews and photos from ‘MasterChef’, he’s got books, a fashion range, he’s got spirits ageing in a distillery in Tassie,” she said.
“He’s got a TV show he filmed in Italy last year with the family. And so, as I kind of am pondering what is appropriate or not.
“If I don’t really know what’s right I’ll put a poll up on here and you guys can tell me yes or no. And somehow we’ll work out if there’s a path forward here or if we don’t do anything at all.”
Tributes Pour in For the Beloved “MasterChef Australia” Judge
The news of Zonfrillo’s death shocked the country and left many of his fans and colleagues in mourning.
Zonfrillo had become a household name as one of the judges on the popular cooking show, where he appeared alongside fellow judges Andy Allen and Melissa Leong. His passion for food and his incredible talent in the kitchen had made him a fan favourite.
The Zonfrillo family released a statement expressing their heartbreak at the loss of their irreplaceable husband, father, brother, son, and friend.
“With completely shattered hearts and without knowing how we can possibly move through life without him. We are devastated to share that Jock passed away yesterday,” they said in the statement on Instagram.
“So many words can describe him, so many stories can be told, but at this time we’re too overwhelmed to put them into words. For those who crossed his path, became his mate, or were lucky enough to be his family, keep this proud Scot in your hearts when you have your next whisky.”
Since learning the devastating news, many media personalities are expressing their condolences and paying tribute to the late Jock Zonfrillo.
Melissa Leong’s Heartfelt Tribute
“MasterChef” judge Melissa Leong recently shared a touching post on Instagram, reflecting on her friendship with her late colleague. Melissa recalled the moment she, Jock, and Andy Allen took a leap of faith together four years ago. And how Jock’s arrival in her life had far exceeded her expectations.
She expressed her disbelief and sorrow at Jock’s sudden passing, stating that she had always thought of him as the “bulletproof one who outlived us all”. She reflected on Jock’s excellence in the kitchen and his kindness and generosity outside of it, as well as his many accomplishments and the challenges he had overcome.
“In that time, you showed me what true excellence looks like both in the kitchen and outside of it; your kindness and generosity, the many lives you’ve lived, the way you carried far more on your shoulders than most could ever know,” she wrote.
“Thank you for challenging me daily, for making me better, my work buddy and friend, purveyor of excellent morning coffees, hater of pears, okra and nasturtiums.
“This all feels too raw to process still, I suspect it will for some time. Such is the impact of a life lived so large, with so much levity and entirely on your own terms.”
Andy Allen Posts Emotional Tribute
In a heartfelt message to Jock, fellow judge Andy Allen expressed his gratitude and admiration for the impact that Jock had on his life beyond the kitchen. Andy reminisced about the past five years that he spent working alongside Jock, and the deep friendship that developed between their families.
“When I met you 5 years ago I knew our lives were about to change forever. What I didn’t realise is how close Alex and I would become outside of the kitchen with you, Lauren and your kids. You’ve become such an inspirational and important part of our lives,” he wrote on Instagram.
Andy acknowledged that Jock had taught him a lot about food, but it was the lessons he learned about being a great father, husband, and friend that he will cherish forever.
“Sure, you’ve taught me so much about food, but it’s the lessons I learnt about what it means to be a great father, husband and friend that I’ll take away from our time together and will last forever,” he continued.
“I’ll miss the way you mentored me and every contestant that walked into the MasterChef kitchen. I’ll miss you ordering the entire menu no matter how many dishes deep and making me eat every last bite, I’ll miss your morning on-set coffees that made me shake from the amount of caffeine you were able to extract out of every individual bean.
“Thanks for making me constantly laugh and being there when I needed to cry. You really were the complete package mate and life will never be the same without you.”
Celebs and Fans Pay Tribute
“MasterChef”‘s Julie Goodwin recently paid tribute to Jock Zonfrillo on Instagram after his sudden passing. Julie expressed her devastation and shock, stating that she was “heartbroken and lost for words” at the news.
Aussie chef Matt Moran joined the many voices expressing their grief, shock and devastation at the news. He described Jock as a “great mate” and one of the best chefs he had ever known.
“It’s a very sad day. We’ve lost another dear friend. Jock was like a brother to me and we made each other laugh and cry. My heart goes out to his family. I am speechless. Rest my friend,” Jimmy Barnes tweeted alongside a picture of the pair.
It’s a very sad day. We’ve lost another dear friend. Jock was like a brother to me and we made each other laugh and cry. My heart goes out to his family. I am speechless Rest my friend xx pic.twitter.com/MFnhcllTsc— Jimmy Barnes (@JimmyBarnes) May 1, 2023
Meanwhile, others expressed their condolences under the post on Zonfrillo’s Instagram page.
“I’m so shocked… rest in peace chef, my heart and condolences to loved ones,” “MasterChef” star Reynold Poernomo commented.
Dylan Alcott said: “You’re a beautiful man Jock. Felt lucky you and your family came into our lives. Gone too soon brother.”
“Such a shock! Love to his family. Sleep well my friend. I’m floored!” wrote fellow chef and TV personality Colin Fassnidge.
Minoli De Silva shared, “This is actually devastating and my brain doesn’t know how to process this. Such a sad day. Will miss you mate.”
In light of the passing of Jock Zonfrillo, Network Ten have delayed the premiere of “MasterChef Australia: Secrets and Surprises” until further notice.
“Network 10 and Endemol Shine Australia are deeply shocked and saddened at the sudden loss of Jock Zonfrillo. A beloved member of the MasterChef Australia family. Jock passed away in Melbourne yesterday,” a statement from Network 10 And Endemol Shine Australia said.
“In 2019, Jock was named as a judge on ‘MasterChef Australia’ in which he took great pride in challenging and coaching the contestants and of course inspiring a nation of home cooks.
“Jock’s charisma, wicked sense of humour, generosity, passion and love for food and his family cannot be measured. He will be greatly missed.”
Want more MasterChef Australia? Gobble up these POPSUGAR stories:
- Get Ready to Have Your Taste Buds Tingling With “MasterChef Australia: Secrets & Surprises”
- MasterChef Judge Jock Zonfrillo Explains Why He Carries “Worry Beads” During the Show
- Heartfelt Tributes Pour in Following the Shock Death of “MasterChef Australia” Judge Jock Zonfrillo
- Meet the Competitors: Here’s Who’s Bringing Their A-Game to “MasterChef: Secrets & Surprises”
- “MasterChef Australia” Has Announced Its New Launch Date
- Is “MasterChef Australia” 2023 on Tonight?
- “MasterChef Australia”: Amy Brings a Mix of Global Flavours to the Kitchen
- ‘Completely Shattered’: “MasterChef Australia” Judge Jock Zonfrillo Dies Aged 46
- “MasterChef Australia” 2023: Malissa Lives For Good Food and Good Times
- “MasterChef Australia ” 2023: Larissa Is Equipped With Flavours From Around the World
- Will Theo’s Intense Love For Food Send Sparks Flying on “MasterChef Australia”?
- “MasterChef Australia” 2023: Brent Is Back and Ready to Take Home the Trophy
- “MasterChef Australia” 2023: Rue Brings Her Zimbabwean Culture to the Table
- Robbie Brings Rich Culture and History to “MasterChef Australia” 2023
- Rhiannon Is Ready to Take on the “MasterChef Australia” 2023 Challenge
- “MasterChef Australia” 2023: Antonio Honours His Grandmother’s Legacy
- Andrea Is Bringing His Nonna-Approved Cooking Skills to the “MasterChef Australia” Kitchen
- Here’s How Much the Contestants of “MasterChef Australia” Get Paid During Their Time on the Show
- “MasterChef Australia” 2023: Phil Is a Food and Wine Wiz
- ath Hopes “MasterChef Australia” Will Help Her Build Her Dream Café
- Jessica Brings Nonna’s Recipes to “MasterChef Australia” Kitchen
- Does Grace Have What It Takes to Win “MasterChef Australia”?
- “MasterChef Australia” 2023’s Ralph Hopes to Bring a Taste of Home to the Culinary Contest
- “MasterChef Australia”: Meet Declan, the Youngest Competitor
- “MasterChef Australia”: Alice Brings a Mix of East and West to the Kitchen
- “MasterChef Australia”: Adi Brings Her Diverse Culinary Background to the Competition